While most of medicine is concerned with putting a label on something or giving it a name and diagnosis, integrative medicine works to do more than that. If we only focus on finding the diagnosis, we overlook the process that got a person there in the first place. This process will cause the health condition to continue unless it is recognized and addressed. Just as a seed needs soil to grow, pathology will only thrive in the right environment. By changing the environment, the pathology cannot continue.
Looking at underlying processes is often called a, “systems-based approach” because it recognizes the many interconnected systems in the body and treatments are designed with consideration of this complexity. However, the processes may be silent until the pathology arrives, so by measuring parameters involved in the process we can uncover the roots of illness and prevent illness in the first place. That is why diagnostic testing is important.
Regardless of the condition, there are a handful of underlying processes that will fan the fire of pathology:
- Stress — Regardless of the condition, most issues will be exacerbated and even caused by stress in one’s life. By managing stress appropriately we make the system more impervious to almost everything we come in contact with.
- Inflammation – Inflammation drives heart disease, neurologic conditions and even cancer. If we can control inflammation we can control one of the major triggers that cause genetics to turn against us.
- Oxidative Stress – Free radicals severely damage the mitochondria as well as other parts of the body. The mitochondria are the powerhouses of the cell. This is where all of our energy is made! If energy production is compromised the body cannot heal, we feel fatigued, worn down and the body’s major systems are weakened.
- Nutritional Deficiencies- Nutrients drive thousands of metabolic reactions every minute in our body. Like a car, if we are nutritionally deficient then our engine cannot perform, as it should. When micro-nutrients are in proper balance then pathology has far less of a chance to develop.
- Toxicity – Toxins such as chemicals and metals are like a wrench in the workings of our body. The cleaner the system, the better able we are to achieve wellness. By removing chemicals and metals we will decrease damage to the mitochondria and decrease inflammation and oxidative stress that cause pathology in the first place. For example, toxicity is the key factor that damages DNA and dramatically increases risk of cancer.
Our State-of-The-Art Testing
Electromyography (EMG Testing):
- With electromyography testing, our specialists can determine if there is any dysfunction or irregular activity to the function of the muscles themselves. This test allows a more accurate diagnosis of muscle injury and impairment.
- NCV Testing (Nerve Conduction Velocity Studies): NCV tests allows our team to diagnosis where in the body there is dysfunction or impairment to a nerve. This the hallmark test for sciatica pain treatment. Often times this test gives us a more accurate understanding of where our patient’s peripheral neuropathy symptoms are occurring.
- Allergy and Immune Response Testing: We employ the latest in blood testing techniques to find out if there are any cases of allergic food reactions present in our patients.
- Vascular Screenings: One of the most important tests is our screening for vascular damage and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is one of the main causes of stroke and heart attacks, and early evaluation is the key to treating these conditions. We employ a painless and simple method to extract fast and accurate results.
- Functional and Performance Testing: To assess the full extent of spinal injury, our team conducts a series of exams and tests to measure and evaluate the level of physical impairment and injury.
- Hormone and Adrenal Testing: Chronic stress can cause a number of health conditions in the body, and our team uses these tests to assess chronic stress and fatigue levels in our patients.
In summary, there are many tests that allow an integrative team to determine the underlying process of disease. The underlying cause must be the focus of treatment for long-term symptom resolution. If treatment is focused on suppressing symptoms with daily medication then the symptoms simply return when you stop the prescription medications; medications merely suppress symptoms. Diagnostic testing of the GI tract, immune system, hormones, toxins, nutritional markers, and inflammation are important when developing your customized treatment plan for YOU. No two patients are alike but all patients want to eliminate the cause of pain and restore abundant energy and vibrant health to their lives.